To be admitted to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, you must:
- Meet the Regent Admission Index (RAI) score requirement:
- Iowa residents must present an RAI score of 245 or higher.
- Residents of other states must present an RAI score of 255 or higher.
- Meet our Minimum High School Course Requirements.
If your school does not rank, we will base our admission decision on your GPA, ACT and/or SAT scores, and high school courses.
If you are a homeschooled applicant, we will base our admission decision on your GPA, ACT and/or SAT scores, and courses taken.
If you took the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), admission requirements are a minimum score of 15 on each of the five subtests (Language Arts – Reading, Language Arts – Writing, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science) and a minimum total score of 75. Students who do not meet the minimum requirements will be considered on an individual basis.
Apply to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- May 1—for Fall Semester or Summer Session
- December 1—for Spring Semester (October 1 for international applicants)
If Your First Language is Not English
The university has English Proficiency Requirements for applicants whose first language is not English.
Areas of Study in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
This is the university's largest college. It offers nearly 60 areas of study and is home to about 16,000 undergraduate students at Iowa.
General Education Program
All students entering the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences who wish to earn BA, BS, BFA, BLS, or BM degrees must complete the college's General Education Program in addition to the course work required for their specific major.